The function of a coach is to ensure a positive baseball experience for all players regardless of ability. Coaches serve as an advisor, mentor, lifeline, or simply as a person to lend an ear and listen. The role that a coach can have on a player’s life is significant in youth development. The sports field offers a place to develop both as an athlete and individual, and lessons learned on that field will be carried throughout life. Each player should be treated with the utmost respect, and his or her welfare should be considered in decisions by the coach at all times.
Thank you for your willingness to volunteer as a coach. You are the face of Coppell Youth Baseball. Accordingly, the following Coaches Code of Conduct has been adopted by the Coppell Baseball Association. By signing below you agree to all terms set forth therein.
CONDUCT AND ETHICS
- I will be a positive role model for the athletes I coach and demonstrate fair play and sportsmanship to all my players.
- I will act professionally and take responsibility for my actions.
- I am aware be aware that I have a tremendous influence, for either good or ill, on the education of the player and, thus, shall never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the highest ideals of character.
- I will remember that I am a youth sports coach, and that the game is for children and not adults.
- I will exert my influence to enhance sportsmanship by my assistant coaches, players, parents and those associated with my team with special emphasis on respecting the rights, dignity and worth of athletes, coaches, other volunteers, friends and spectators.
- I will respect and support contest officials. I will not indulge in conduct which would incite players or spectators against the officials.
- I will place the emotional and physical wellbeing of my players ahead of a personal desire to win.
- I will ensure my language, manner, punctuality, preparation and presentation demonstrate high standards of CBA.
- I will treat everyone equally regardless of sex, ethnic origin, religion or ability.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
I understand that I am responsible for ensuring that the health, well-being and development of athletes take precedence over the win/loss record.
- I will adhere to all pitch count rules and in the absence of rules act in the best interest player health and longevity regardless of situation.
- I will provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for practices and competition.
- I will exhibit sound injury and risk management practices and will encourage athletes to seek medical advice when required.
- I will provide a sports environment for my team that is free of drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
- I will ensure that all equipment is safe and ready for play.
- I will treat each player as an individual, remembering the large range of emotional and physical development for the same age group.
- I will be fair, considerate and honest with athletes and communicate with athletes using simple, clear language.
- I will do my best to organize practices that are fun and challenging for all my players.
- I will use those coaching techniques appropriate for all of the skills that I teach.
- I will seek continual improvement through performance evaluation and ongoing coach education.
- I will be knowledgeable in the rules of CBA, USSSA or any applicable tournaments as appropriate and I will teach and explain these rules to my players.
- I will make myself available as a coaching mentor to other coaches throughout the Association at all levels as requested by the CBA Board.
- I will participate in Recreation level player evaluations as determined by CBA Board.
- I will remain fair and impartial during player evaluations and select the best team to represent Coppell Youth Baseball.
- I will not actively recruit players from the Coppell Baseball Association with the intent of having them leave the Association to play elsewhere.
- After due process should I be asked by the Coppell Baseball Association to step down as a coach I will willingly do so and without incident.