The Coppell Baseball Association (“CBA”) will be forming All-Star teams to compete in summer tournaments at the conclusion of the regular season and post-season tournament. All players currently playing in the recreation and premier league are eligible to attend the tryouts.
All-Star tryouts will be held Sunday, April 22nd (April 29th make up date if needed) at Wagon Wheel Park (please check CBA website for specific times and fields) and teams will for formed for the following age groups:
U6 (if enough interest), U7, U8, U9, U10, U11-12 and U13-14. Age groups may be combined based on numbers.
The process of selecting the All-Star Coaches is will be done in April. Applications due Monday, April 9th.
All-Star Team participation is a fun and rewarding time for all involved. However, in considering All-Star Team participation and discussing the merits of All-Star Team play with your child, please bear the following points in mind:
1. Commitment to All-Star Teams means a commitment of time and money.
a. Time - Four to five tournaments (3-5 games each) will be played on weekends (Friday night through Sunday) beginning in June and, possibly early July. In addition, All-Star teams will practice at least 2 times per week.
b. Costs - The players (parents) must cover uniforms, tournament fees and any other expenses. The estimated cost for uniforms is typically $75 to $100/player. Costs vary widely based on the quality and number of uniform components a team decides to purchase. Tournament fees are usually $325 – 425 per tournament, per team. Donations/sponsorships can and should be solicited to offset the cost.
2. Most tournaments will be held outside of Coppell in surrounding communities.
3. The All-Star Team season is a highly competitive environment, much more so than our Coppell recreational league. It is not necessarily conducive to equal playing time for all members of the team.
4. The amount of playing time, and in which positions, is up to the manager and coaches of the team. Although many of the players selected may have pitched or played shortstop during the CBA season, not all will pitch or play shortstop for All-Star Teams.
The player selection process is as follows:
1. All players must attend the tryout to be eligible.
2. Each head coach or an assistant of all 2018 Spring Recreational and Premier League teams in an age group should attend the tryout and rank each player in that age group. Each coach assigns a rank to each player from 1 to10 with the total number of players in the tryout. A ranking of 10 representing the highest ranking.
3. The coaches submit their rankings and, once the highest and lowest rankings for each player are omitted, the results are tallied for each player. The highest and lowest rankings are omitted to help eliminate biases.
4. The first 8 players with the higher rankings qualify for the Red team. The All-Star Red head coach will have 4 “wildcard” selections (the coach’s son counts as one of the wildcard selections) to bring the total number of players selected to the Red team to 12. The “wildcard” selections must come from the list of players who attended the tryout and were ranked.
5. For those age groups with 2 All-Star Teams: After the Red team roster has been selected the next 8 players with the higher rankings qualify for the Black team. The All-Star Black head coach will have 4 “wildcard” selections (the coach’s son counts as one of the wildcard selections) to bring the total number of players select to the Black team to 12. The “wildcard” selections must come from the list of players who attended the tryout and were ranked.
All Star/Tournament Team Director