CBA offers a competitive alternative for players who demonstrate the ability to play at a higher level. This program is known as the Select Team Program. CBA formed this competitive program due to an increased number of players interested in a higher level of competition. Because CBA’s primary focus is our Recreational program, CBA limits the number of competitive teams it forms to players who demonstrate the ability to perform at a Select AA level or above. The CBA is committed to ensuring the Recreational program remains a strong and vibrant program.
Select teams at each age group are selected through a tryout process before each fall and spring season starting with 9U through 12U. Players that are determined by experienced, independent Select-level evaluators to have the ability to perform at a Select AA level or above will be eligible to be selected to a CBA Select team. The CBA will only form Select teams that are composed entirely of players determined to be Select-level players. Historically, the CBA Select program has fielded two to three teams per age group between 9U and 12U. If an insufficient number of Select-level players are available to form a complete team (typically a third Select team), alternative options will be available through the CBA Recreational program and supplementary events to provide competitive baseball opportunities.
Select teams typically play significantly more games at a higher level of competition than the Recreational leagues. Select teams play at the Double A, Triple A, and Majors levels of competition. Recreational league all-star teams are considered to be Single A.
Texas Elite Baseball Association (TEBA)
CBA is a member of the Texas Elite Baseball Association (TEBA), a regional association of similar select programs that compete against each other close to or at their home parks. TEBA games are played as doubleheaders on Saturdays, and sometimes Sundays, in the fall. TEBA games are played throughout the week in the spring, with single games on weeknights and doubleheaders on Saturdays, and sometimes Sundays.
Select coaches have the discretion to schedule Sunday afternoon doubleheaders against other area Select teams to supplement the normal TEBA schedule.
Select teams also play in travel tournaments throughout the North Texas area each fall, spring and summer. At 11U, the CBA Select teams traditionally travel to Omaha, Nebraska for the Slumpbusters tournament, which is held concurrently with the College World Series. At 12U, the CBA first and second Select teams traditionally travel to Cooperstown, New York for the Dreams Park invitation-only tournament that includes more than 1,300 teams from across the nation. Both of these tournaments require significant expenditures, so the CBA has arranged for the teams to conduct fundraisers to offset the costs to players’ families. Both the Omaha tournament and the Cooperstown tournament are lifetime experiences for the players and families alike, and the CBA is extremely proud of our teams’ continued participation in these special events.
The Select program time commitment is significantly higher than the Recreational league. The fall season of CBA baseball is considered to be instructional. Schedule conflicts with other activities in the fall are expected and accommodated to the degree practicable. In the spring, a Select player’s primary athletic commitment is expected to be to baseball.
The financial commitment for Select is higher than for the Recreational league, although the costs remain far lower than privately run travel teams in the area. Additional costs for Select teams relative to Recreational league costs include uniforms, tournament fees, coaching instruction, travel expenses, equipment, and other related expenses. As part of the CBA, Select teams are provided access to Coppell fields for practice and games.
Select Team Coaches Selection (9U – 12U)
- Any adult who has an eligible player may apply to coach.
- Exceptions to this requirement are only allowed if granted by the Coaches Selection Committee.
- Interested candidates must submit a completed coach application to the CBA by the posted deadline to be considered for coach selection.
- The Coaches Selection Committee, composed of CBA Board Members and put together by the Director of Select Teams, will interview each candidate.
- All coaches who have opposition (by another candidate) must participate in the interview process.
- At the discretion of the Coaches Selection Committee, a returning Select team coach whose position is not being challenged may not be required to interview.
- The Coaches Selection Committee will consider each applicant, including returning unopposed coaches, and recommend coaches for each team to the CBA Board.
- The coaches will be approved once the CBA Board has considered and approved the Coaches Selection Committee recommendations.
- Once approved by the CBA Board, Select coaches will be posted on the CBA web site.
- Coaches will remain in their positions for the fall and following spring/summer season.
Formation of CBA Select Teams (9U – 12U)
- Each team will be named Coppell Cowboys-Coach Name.
- Each Select team will be comprised of 10-12 players.
- The first Select team will be selected first, followed by the second Select team, and so on.
- Select Team Competition Level
- The first team in each age group will play at a level no lower than Open in the Texas Elite Baseball Association (TEBA) league and will play at a Major/AAA (USSSA), D1 or D2 (Triple Crown) or National/American (Super Series) level for tournaments.
- The second team in each age group will play at a level determined by the Director of Select Teams.
- If a team wants to play in a tournament that is lower than their designation, approval must first be obtained from the Director of Select Teams.
- Select Team Selection Process
- A tryout at each age group will be held for all positions prior to each season (approximately August for fall season and November for spring season).
- A player must try out to be eligible for any Select team.
- If a player cannot be at the predetermined tryout dates, at the Director of Select Teams’ discretion a private session for that player may be held.
- If a player is not available during the entire tryout timeframe, the player cannot be considered eligible for a Select team unless the Director of Select Teams has granted an exception before the tryout timeframe has been completed.
- Select team coach(es) must attend all tryout dates (including private sessions if required due to schedule conflicts).
- Each Select team tryout requires an Independent Evaluator selected by the Director of Select Teams to evaluate each player and provide those evaluations to the Select coaches for consideration. The Independent Evaluator must be present for all tryout dates (including private sessions if required due to schedule conflicts). The independent evaluator will have no direct affiliations or connections to the specific age group but must be experienced in the necessary skill level for a player to perform at a Select AA level or above.
- The Independent Evaluator will provide the Select coach(es) a list of players considered to have the ability to perform at a Select AA level or above, and therefore be eligible to be selected for a Select team. Players not qualified as Select AA level or above on the Independent Evaluator’s list are not eligible to be selected to a Select team.
- No parental involvement is allowed in any portion of the Select team tryout process (even if they are CBA Board Members).
- All Coach and Independent Evaluator notes/rankings will be kept on file (confidentially) at the CBA office.
- Players will be selected by the Coach based upon ability, attitude, baseball knowledge, and other relevant attributes.
- Player selection process will be as objective as possible.
- The Select team coaches pick their respective teams.
- Assistant coaches will be selected by the Select team coaches after their teams have been selected. Children of probable assistant coaches cannot be protected or assigned to specific teams.
- The first team is selected first. Only players who tried out and did not make the first team will be eligible for selection to the second team, and so on.
- Any incumbent player bumped from a team (first to second, second to neither team, etc.) must receive a call from the Select team coach at the time of the team posting.
CBA Select Team Player Eligibility (9U - 12U)
- Each roster is subject to the 80/20 rule. A minimum of 80% of the players must be from Coppell. A maximum of 20% of the players can be from outside Coppell. The intention of the CBA Select team program is to maximize the number of Coppell kids on the roster. All players from outside Coppell must attend the tryouts prior to each season. Exceptions must be presented to and approved by the CBA Director of Select Teams.
- To be considered to be from Coppell, a player must: (1) attend school within the Coppell Independent School District, (2) live in the City of Coppell, or (3) have played in the Coppell Recreational Program for at least one season.
- CBA has a Parental Appeals Process. Appeals made to the CBA Select Program Committee. The Parental Appeals Process can only be used when a player chooses to move down from the first team to the second team. The Parental Appeals Process cannot be used to request a move from the second team to the first team in any instance and with no exceptions.
Fall 2013 Coaches
Select Team Tryout Schedule Fall 2013
Select team tryouts will be held at Wagon Wheel game fields (#1-5) between August 4-10. Specific dates and times will be posted on the CBA web site main/front page shortly.
Note: If you cannot attend the tryout you have been scheduled, you may attend the other available date.
All players must be registered and paid to attend the tryouts. If your player does not make a select team and does not want to play Recreational league, please email
after team list are posted to receive a refund.